✓ Worldwide Shipping ✓ Fast shipping ✓ Easy returns

Home » Blog » Transport requirements- going abroad

Transport requirements- going abroad

Published on 25 September 2020 at 11:48

Pet passport

When you travel abroad you'll need a passport for your trip, and your pet might, too. While required travel documentation for dogs, cats and other animals varies from destination to destination, following these steps will help ensure your pet has all the right papers to breeze through customs and avoid quarantines

An EU animal passport is necessary if you travel with the dog. For travel through Europe, your animal needs an European animal passport. A EU pet passport aims to reduce the susceptibility to fraud.


A rabies vaccination is obligated for travelling with your dog in Europe.

Note: This vaccination must be given more than 3 weeks before the trip. The vaccin will protect the dog from getting rabies for three years. Your dog needs to be chipped as well.

Chip-and registration obligation

It is now mandatory throughout  Europe for all dog owners to have their dogs microchipped and recorded with a government compliant microchip database such as Petlog. Dog breeders, meanwhile, must ensure that puppies are microchipped and recorded by the time they are eight weeks old and before they are sold.

In the year 2013 (April) it has become mandatory to chip and register your dog. It is compulsory for dogs born on April 1, 2013. You must register your dog with a database. Your vet, the pet store and the shelter can tell you how and where you do that.


Some countries (including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Finland, Malta and Cyprus) have additional requirements, such as worming of tick treatment, which must be given by a vet (a few days) before departure and signed in the passport.


What will be your next country?

«   »

Add comment


There are no comments yet.